“Experience what happens when storytelling meets the latest technology” with the new CNN
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 1.51MB (no apps2SD)
CNN took their time developing and fine-tuning their Android app, and it definitely shows in its functionality and gorgeous UI. The app opens to the latest headlines and top stories. Swiping left/right switches to the other categories such as politics, entertainment, health, and travel. Each category then features the ten latest articles including their headlines and thumbnail images.
In the article view, summary bullet points are displayed at the top in case you don’t have time (or the interest) to read the entire story. If there is a related video, just click the thumbnail and it will begin to play immediately. The fact that videos don’t require an outside application to view them is a huge convenience.
One of the first things you’re sure to notice is the unique design of the user interface. The black background makes reading articles much easier on the eyes. Plus, it can only help battery life in the long run (white backgrounds require more energy to display). Additionally, in the user settings there is the option to adjust the text size if you have trouble reading the smaller fonts.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest news from a respected source
- User-interface employs a black background for enhanced readability
- Sign-in and sync with your Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Option to activate breaking news notifications
- Homescreen widget
- Submit iReport directly from your Android device
Areas for improvement:
- Additional customization options for the homescreen widget (size, multiple categories, etc.)
Conclusion: An incredibly refined and streamlined Android news app with a long list of useful features.